Friday, December 28, 2007

Merry Christmas



The night before Christmas

Christmas morning



My mom would work extra jobs every year and keep a stash of bills in her purse. I never realized how much money she carried around in her purse. She used it to take me school clothes shopping, but it's primary purpose was for Christmas. My mother loved to splurge on Christmas. I mean, she received no greater satisfaction than watching us open our gifts and watching us recieve the coveted items we pined after. Actually I think she most enjoyed watching me and her grandkids, probably because I was the girl and grandkids are just ... extra special. She loved it so much she worked numerous extra hours in order to provide us with a storybook Christmas. I remember many Christmas mornings where I'd walk out to find Santa's gifts sitting out; a video game system, a VCR, a little TV. I remember My Little Ponies and Care Bears plus a stocking that was buldging with gifts and candy. The magic of Christmas, for me as a child, is so pervasive that I am passing it along to my children. I loved the feeling of Christmas. I loved the wonder and excitement of Santa Clause. I was older when I realized his true identity, but continue to believe in the Spirit of Santa. I hope my children capture and retain that same spirit. I can't imagine a life without the spirit of Santa as part of our Christmas tradition. We always begin Christmas the night before by opening one (sometimes two) gift. Growing up it was usually pajamas or a game. I miss my family and my childhood Christmas. I miss being able to celebrate with both my mom and dad, miss opening that first gift with them, miss my Santa Clauses. They continued to set out Santa gifts for me (and Ryan) for their entire lives.



This Christmas Madeline left Santa a little note. She drew a picture of him and left a short list of what she'd like. She left a plate of assorted goodies (candy cane, cookies and Santa shaped chocolate) with a glass of hot cocoa. She fell asleep quickly and woke up early. I am not sure of the exact time but I think it was around 4am. I coaxed her back to sleep. When she woke up she told me Santa had come and filled our stockings. She hadn't seen the gifts in our front room with the tree. We finally convinced her to go into that room and she couldn't stop screaching for joy. She told us that she thought she was too naughtly to receive gifts from Santa this year and she was surprised she got presents! She really believed she was going to get coal! What a goofball. Anyway, she really enjoyed Christmas this year. Santa brought Ryan a Wii, Madeline dress-up dresses and Barbies, Annie a bunny backpack, paints and pounding bench. Santa brought me a pair of new gloves and kabuki brush. We all had a fabulous Christmas. Maddie wanted to play Barbies ALL DAY LONG. That and Webkinz. The Webkinz website bombed on Christmas and is still not functioning. I'm more than a little frustrated about that, but I'll get over it.

1 comment:

Our Family said...

I love this post! I'm glad you had a Merry Christmas!