Monday, April 23, 2007

Let's play Rascal...


Maddie is regressing nicely.

Celebrating my birthday with the Horners

Maddie helping provide some "flare" at the party!


For more than a year now, one of Madeline's favorite games is "Rascal". Maddie pretends to be a puppy at the pet store. Ryan and I "go to" the pet store looking for a new pet, which is ultimately a dalmation puppy that we name "Rascal". Of course it's not that simple because there are about ten thousand rules for the game and everything must go exactly, and I mean exactly, as directed by Madeline. You see, the first time we ever played this game, I think it was me, we were trying to redirect her attention and I think I said "Dad, I think we need a new pet" and it took off from there. The game has changed in the last year and a half; now we look for a kitty and her name is Little Kitty (homage to our late feline family member) and it all takes place at the Humane Society but we still call the game "Rascal". Currently she likes to pretend she's wearing a tag and that tag contains instruction on her care. Including things like "this puppy/kitty is sick and needs extra care" or "this kitty cannot get down from the couch and needs help". I love the rule that the kitty/puppy cannot grow and will stay a baby forever. I kindof wish I could do that to my own kiddos. For some reason Maddie loves this game. She loves it so much that she wants to play it non-stop. She could play it three, four or five times in a row. The same exact game, following the same exact rules. I will be the first to admit that playing Rascal fifteen thousand times in the last year is a little more than I can stomach and it takes a little reflection on my part to put things into perspective. You see, someday Madeline will stop wanting to play Rascal. It already makes me a little sad to think that soon she'll stop wanting to play with us; even the game of Rascal. Especially the game of Rascal. In the meantime I will keep on wishing that I could keep my babies little forever and will treasure every moment I have to play with them. Even if it means playing Rascal. Again and again and again. In fact, I am already thinking that I need a new pet. It might be a kitty, a small timid kitty. Little Kitty sounds like a good name. Did you hear that teeny meow, that might be my kitty just waiting for me.

No comments: