Sunday, June 17, 2007

Celebrating DAD


Happy Father's Day Dad!

Anna's new scrunchy face look



When I was 6 I started T-ball. I continued to play softball on through elementary school and college. I loved playing ball with my dad. It was one of his favorite games and was something we enjoyed doing together. We played on a team in Michigan until he couldn't play anymore. I really miss playing ball with Dad. We played a lot of games together too. I used to sneak in on his "poker night" games too. The guys always loved that. I can still picture all the guys from Dad's work sitting around our dining room table in the house on Bison Court. Cribbage and Boggle were two of our routine games. He taught me so well that I eventually started to win. While it was invigorating to win, I had a hard time with it. I had a hard time knowing that in my youth my mind was at its peak and his mind was on the decline. I didn't try as hard to win because it made me happier to see him win. I don't know if he was also trying less to win; he probably was because as a dad he wanted to see his daughter happy. I was happy just playing with him. The last time I played Boggle was with him. I still have my Boggle game but I haven't played it since my dad died. I don't know if I will ever play Boggle again, I hope so, but maybe with Madeline or Annalise when they're older. Right now I want to hold on to his memory and our special Boggle games together.

Like my dad, Ryan has a special way with the girls. He plays golf with Maddie and can toss Anna into the air with much more vigor than I. Dads and daughters have a special relationship that cannot be replicated by a mother and for that I am grateful. The girls will have a wonderful time growing up with the wonderful man they call Dad.

1 comment:

Our Family said...

Becky, somehow I've missed this post in the past and am just now reading it. How poignant. You've touched me deeply with this post.