Friday, August 3, 2007

Water

When I was about three years old I fell off the dock of a lake. I am told, because I have no real recollection of the event, that my dad swooshed me out. As I got older my older brothers would torment me by fishing me out to the deep end and proceed to dunk me under the water. Therefore, I have a real fear of the water. It doesn't stop me from swimming, going off the diving board or waterslides but I do feel nervous in the water. Because of that I wanted to make sure Madeline learned to swim. She started swimming lessons last summer and has excelled. This year she flew through level one and is able to pass out of level two. Last night was the last day of swimming class. They spend the class going off the diving boards and waterslides. Since Madeline knows how to front and back crawl for several feet she can now go off the slides and board by herself (without a lifejacket) and swim to the side. She prefers the security of dad in the water off to the side *just in case she needs him*. So last night she's enjoying the diving boards when the teacher said "do you want to go off the high dive?". Maddie replies "sure", shrugging her shoulders. She toddles up to the ladder, waits in line. I quiety walked up to the side of the board to watch the events unfold. Up up up she climbs. I was thinking she might get a little nervous once she saw the height. Nope, Maddie walked to the end of the board, leaned over and splash jumped right into the water. I didn't notice at the time but I think nearly the entire place had their eyes on her because everyone started clapping. Maddie never heard them because she was under the water. Did I mention that I've never been off the high dive? I am too chicken to go off. Now Maddie has done something, of probably many things, I've never done.

She went twice and, by the way, didn't know it was anything to be afraid of.

No comments: