Thursday, July 24, 2008

Another day

I am not exactly sure what I want to write about but I feel a compelling urge to write. I will just start to recap my week: Ryan went to Las Vegas this week. Thankfully both Mary and Michelle helped me out. Annie just finished her fourth day with a fever and home from school. I believe she'll be going back tomorrow morning. I've moved into my new office and today hired a new employee; Michelle. She's from Modesto California. I am eager for her to start. Madeline wished that she was the Michelle from Papillion, but that wasn't an option. Work is ferociously busy. Today was a day full of meetings regarding a potential minor league stadium in the county. That will be an interesting venture. Tomorrow we're all having dinner with Joyce and Steve down in the old market.

Yesterday I was feeling very sad and missing my mom quite a bit. It's not like I don't miss my dad, but it's different with mothers. So many times in the past few months I've yearned to dial her number and call her on the phone. I spent a lot of time last night thinking about her house, the rooms, how it looked after we prepared it for sale. I tried to push out the desire to think about the last time we spent time alone together before she went into the nursing home. All of this was probably brought on by the fact that I temporarily lost my necklace from them. When I received my bachelor's degree my mom and dad presented me with a diamond necklace in a bevel setting on a gold snake chain. The diamond is the stone that my dad gave to my mom upon proposal. It's a cherished piece for me and one that often brings me peace in stressful situations. I used it for many years to think of my dad, but now it represents them both. I found it yesterday under my chest of drawers. I asked on Sunday that it come back to me and three short days later it did. It had been missing for a couple of weeks. I believe the nostalgia was brought on by the discovery of the necklace but regardless of the reason a low painfull sadness aches in my heart.

No comments: