Friday, March 23, 2007

Scoots and Skips





Yet another week has gone by and several new developments are at hand.

I remember reading from cover to cover the American Pediatrics Association book when Maddie was a baby. With extra time on my hands I tracked her past present and future development through that book. I remember looking at skipping as a developmental milestone. Maddie enrolled in dance class at two and a half years old and they focused on skipping routinely. She did a couple skips here and there but really preferred galloping and was not interested in actual skipping. We moved from Lincoln and her new dance class never worked on skipping. This past week Madeline spontaneously started skipping. Real big actual skips. I am excited because it's the first time she's really done it. Her and I skipped most of the way to the park last week. Ryan and I commented that Anna will skip earlier because she'll be trying to keep up with Sissy. Ryan just called and said Maddie has a temperature and is fighting some infection. He was headed home now anyway to till up the garden and plant his starter plants. Today he's planting the first crop of starter plants, tomorrow he's planting cherry and pear trees and we head to a College of Architecture dinner.

On the other hand Anna is sitting up very well and scooting. She rolls and scoots herself all over the place now. She surprised the daycare gals because she was getting herself pretty far. As usual her infectious smile lights up the daycare. Jodi, the director, said in a hushed tone that Anna is her favorite despite her resolution to not have favorites. Anna tried carrots and green beans last week. She loves her oatmeal too. She'll be 6 months in just a few more days.

My big event for the week was a severely plugged milk duct. It was plugged for almost 2 full days. I visited the doctor's office twice and planned a trip to the lactation consultant. Luckily last night I was able to get it worked out. I sure hope I never have to deal with that again as it was painful and worrisome. I think it worried me more than anything. Anna did great throughout but was a little irritated. She was able to get milk from that side, but only about 25% of normal production. I am still very sore, but relieved that everything is flowing normally again.

This weekend we're going to a dinner and working in the garden and enjoying the rain showers and mild weather.

No comments: