Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Riding the subway

At one point in our trip we were making our way somewhere and we accidentally got on the wrong train. It's actually pretty good that we only made one mistake during our trip since the system is fairly complicated. As we were making our way to correct the error we had to get on another train to get back to the correct way. The train slowed and I could see into the car. I have to tell you that during the entire trip I only had the sense of foreboding once and this was the moment. I looked into the train car and it just didn't look right. We walked into the front of the car and I saw on my right side a homeless man sleeping on the first set of seats. Another man sat across from him. In the, perhaps, ten seconds in which this all occurred I saw the homeless man urinating in his sleep through his clothes onto the man across from him (who then shot up and started kicking the "peeing man") while simultaneously a nice looking woman straight in front of us urgently commanded us to go to the other side of the train, which we did. This all happened so quickly that none of my family took notice of the events. I had to explain to Ryan what happened. He may have been feeling as though he missed out on a somewhat funny string of events, but I wish those images were never burned on my brain. In retrospect it is funny, sort of. And I am very glad Madeline didn't see it happen.

No comments: